PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2013, 02:11
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One stumbling block was why would it be referred to as a partial ramjet?
You have to think of the entire installation as an integrated whole - inlet, engine, afterburner, nozzle. No single item would work without the other.

Take the afterburner for example. When the engine was deriched its thrust output was reduced, but without affecting the thrust produced by the inlet or afterburner.

With the engine deriched, although it is producing less thrust, the rotor RPM remains unchanged, so it's still pumping the same amount of air to the afterburner via the bypass from the 4th stage compressor.

The downside was that the exhaust from the engine was now reduced to a temperature where a blowout of the afterburner was possible.

The partial ramjet feature is the bypass air from the 4th stage to the afterburner. The bleed valve on the bypass doesn't open until the compressor inlet temperature is in the range 85° to 115° C, which corresponds to Mach 1.8 to 2.0. Up until that temperature range is reached the engine is operating as a normal axial flow turbojet with an afterburner. Once reached, the 4th stage bypass opens, and you have your partial ramjet. Highly compressed air being fed directly to the afterburner, up to 40% of the air consumed.
Not sure if I'm allowed to make any more comments or ask any questions but I'll risk it.
The more the merrier peter. We all learn something in the interaction. eg I found Kelly did mention ramjet.

Last edited by Brian Abraham; 29th Jan 2013 at 02:13.