PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NG flaps 10
Thread: 737NG flaps 10
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2013, 19:03
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO an F/O in their first few years is an apprentice and the captain a mentor/teacher. I learnt many things, both good and bad, from my years as an apprentice. I developed my style picking the cherries from the good guys and discarding the more dubious practices. As a T. captain of 25 years in various airlines and on various a/c, and therefore different operating cultures, I continued to learn from the F/O's. They were like myself and developed their style from the various captains who they'd flown with. I knew nothing of these captains' techniques other than what I saw via the F/O's. I learnt some very slick things. The same was true from hours in the back of the sim. I had my test program, to cover the necessary items, but the variety of what I saw in how to handle various scenarios was wonderful. I believed in allowing people to learn however they could, even me. There were occasions on the line when I thought PF was trying to be a little too slick and push the 500' boundary too far. A persuasive suggestion to consider a little more drag was sometimes met with a hesitant stare, but compliant reaction. As we squeezed through the 500' eye of the needle and just sneaked under the wire the non-arrogant and true apprentice F/O's acknowledged the mentoring. Indeed they enjoyed flying with me because they were allowed their head and trusted where I drew the line. Thus they learnt where the boundaries were and grew wiser. I did no more than pass on a philosophy I had been lucky enough to have be taught within. I can only commend it.