PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Responding to boy racers
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2003, 09:41
callyoushortly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I'm fairly sure that I was sitting in the radar room watching this lot pan out (however, I wasn't the controller), if it isn't the same incident then it's very similar and deserves a mention.

Chubbs
Yes, the guy was wittering on about the speed he could do as opposed to your 240kts below 100 but remember that if he's going 100kts faster than yourself then he has a really good chance of getting in before you.
Looking at it from the radar, and not from TCAS, he was always going to be number one anyway. You were pointing directly at the field, whereas he was pointing at a 10 mile final, funnily enough that's the best place to make an approach from. Please note that if the APC controller was to bend both aircraft out, then the outside aircraft leaves controlled airspace.

It seems to me that more and more at this airfield people think that because they're inside, whether they're higher or slower or whatever else, they're automatically number one. But that's just not true....
It's difficult enough as it is to maximise aircraft movements in tight airspace to the northeast (making approaches to a south westerly runway) without having guys trying to vector themselves and be fully aware what's going on from TCAS.

As it turned out he was made number one and went visual long before yourselves, even though you were brought into the field and positioned downwind, which is becoming more and more the norm to keep you guys out of the hold.

I thought I'd just let you know the situation as it worked out, and although the whinge from you was about the other pilot I don't see that it can all be blamed on him...... maybe I'm naive to it all but if someone tells me he can keep his speed up, and it works to my advantage then sorry but he's number one.