PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter - v - crane LONDON
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2013, 17:05
SASless

Received 547 Likes on 222 Posts
Pace,

Here is what you said......

I am a realist and what you should do and what people do can be separate!
Imagine pilot A on a SVFR clearance to Jersey over the sea? He is VFR and VMC at 2000 feet 25 miles out! The weather at Jersey is 3000 overcast with viz within SVFR limits
He sees an isolated patch of cloud across his path descending to 800 feet over the sea
Will he descend to 700 feet or decide to punch it For 3 minutes maintaining 2000 feet ?
My guess is some would descend while others would loose sight of the sea for a few minutes!
If you had pointed out the fact that to "punch it for three minutes maintaining 2000 feet" would be illegal....then I would not see you advocating doing that.

As you give equal weight to both options....we have to assume you see nothing wrong with the one despite it being improper to enter cloud.

To follow your example.....what if the guy punches in....and the weather deteriorates as he trundles towards Jersey? Now you have a situation where the Pilot has violated his clearance for if he is on a SVFR Clearance as you state.....he is now IMC but flying SVFR which we all know is wrong.

So when you had a chance to support proper techniques and rule following.....you did not.

Thus, I still say you are putting out bum poop without regard to the fact we have fledgling aviators who read what is posted here and we experienced folk have a moral obligation to advocate for safe, legal techniques and procedures whenever we post.

As you seem to have drawn some flack over your post about NOTAMS usage....perhaps you might want to go back and review what you have said and see if there are any changes you might wish to make.

It does not matter what license or experience one has when it comes to posting here....all are welcome. We just need to remember what we say here can have an influence over what others think might be useful in their flying....and make sure we pass on solidly safe correct information.

As to NOTAMS....one as PIC....has an absolute requirement to check all current NOTAMS that might relate to the flight one is about to undertake. I don't care if you got there ten times a day, seven days a week. If your flight takes place after new NOTAMS are issued....you have to check them again to make sure nothing has changed since you last read them.

That is being a Professional Pilot....and that is why you earn the big bucks.