PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gold Coast ops today
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2013, 16:33
Twin Beech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Approach bans have been in place in most countries for at least forty-two years* Essentially they are designed to prohibit ILS approaches inside the OM when RVR (not reported from some car) is below landing minima.

In the meantime CAT III approach/ autoland capability has become more common, almost rendering state approach bans moot.

Australia has only recently installed transmisometers adjacent to ILS runways at a few airports, hence the sudden fascination with approach bans. I don't do many non-ILS approaches anymore, but I haven't seen an approach ban philosophy applied to anything but an ILS.

I cannot recall clearly, but I think the whole idea started with the advent of the CAT II approach. The bans were in place to prevent non-approved operators from descending to the then new heroic limits without the equipment and training required.

*well, they were in the books when I did my first IR in '71. My instructor told me that if they had approach bans in place for the ILS just request the NDB approach. Looking back now it dawns on me that he may have been a knob.

Last edited by Twin Beech; 28th Jan 2013 at 16:34.