PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2003, 09:06
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMMmmmiles away

A post onto the Wingsoverwarwickshire website today -

N Hitchman writes -

I saw a very nice looking Miles M2R Hawk Major in the Chilean AF museum in Santiago. A number of their aircraft are airworthy and flown, but Im not sure if this is.
( no it isn't - HP)

While in Argentina at the same time last April, I didnt see any Miles aircraft, but was told that there was at least one airworthy Magister in the Mendoza area at San Martin airfield. (It is airworthy and last reported for sale - a pre-war Maggie and thus of significant historical interest. I have seen recent pictures of it. It looks exactly like the Shuttleworth Maggie - HP)

I did see a GAL Cygnet in poor condition on a pole outside one aeroclub at Colon!!! There are lots of very intresting vintage aircraft down here! (Tell us more! - HP)

If you want to save some Miles aircraft, can I suggest those at the Ulster Museum of Folk and Transport, they have two Geminies AKEL and AKGE, stored dismantled. I've visited there twice, but not in the last 7 or 8 years. Both times I failed to see the aircraft, the last time the curator told me he was too busy to show me them, even though he seemed to have 30 min to explain to me why he was too busy!!
Later we found the wings and tails of the two aircraft stored in an open barn along with lots of other non aviation stuff, one of the workers there told us that all the aviation stuff was not very well cared for in store and the curator wasnt really interested in it. (Geminis are not that sought after unfortunately. Now if they had a Hawk, Witney Straight or Monarch, these would be of great interest! - HP)

cheers

Nigel