PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NG flaps 10
Thread: 737NG flaps 10
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2013, 10:23
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captains who are talking autopilots are not always the best teachers. I have to disagree that the captain should always have the right to interfere in a the handling technique of PF, unless there is a safety/economic/SOP issue. As as been said there are many acceptable ways to skin the cat. I have come across many confused F/O's who have been taught 'SOP's?' by LTC's. Confused because there was such a variety of SOP's out there, when in fact it was a host of opinions. In today's world captains are being upgraded with less & less hours. They need to keep a steep learning curve all the way to CMD. The TQ courses teach absolute basics for the type. Most line flying is so shackled and inhibited by nanny SOP's that the new 3000hr captain will only have an inkling of what the a/c is capable of, and more importantly how to extricate yourself from an unwanted or unexpected condition. The a/c is capable of far more than most people realise. The HOT & Hi event at FHM comes to mind, and no doubt around the world there have been and will be many other scenarios where PF said "I'd like to have known the best way get out of that." A G/A is always an option, fuel permitting, but not always necessary.