PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 89 what is it really about
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2003, 06:32
emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zorg...my apologies..I have no desire to hijack your subject but "topend3" made erroneous statements in his post that I feel should be corrected.

Firstly the DC9 was delivered as a 2 crew aircraft and was never set up to have a Flt Eng... AFAP policy at the time was to have a F/E on all jet a/c and after unsucessfully endevouring to implement this policy eventually abandoned the exercise.

As for the B767 ,it was originally built as a 3 crew a/c and was operated as a 3 crew by launch customers Delta and United albeit only a very few. At that time Boeing still believed in the 3 crew concept however Airbus came out with the A300 with only 2 crew and Boeing had no option but to follow,however quite a few of the early a/c including Ansetts were still hardwired for 3 crew.
Ansetts a/c were built as 3 crew after Abeles set up a joint committee to examine the issue and reccomended 3 crew....one could hardly describe that as having been "forced".

Methinks topend3's post was more about union bashing than enlightening the masses