PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rafale wins Indian order
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2013, 20:05
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbrockman
I was just trying to make a point that the EJ200 would be better because it is a better engine
[disclaimer: genuine question] Better overall? How is that defined? I'm thinking thrust, weight, size, fuel consumption (hence fuel fraction), Ir "stealthness", price (tag), price (maintenance), reliability... and find myself unable to make an educated conclusion (I admit lacking knowledge on both engines).

France is going for the 4 version because of its improved reliability-lower maintenance costs, I think they are passing for the extra oomph for now.
Yes. There was a choice to make: You could not (if I understood correctly) have both the improved reliability and the extra-thrust.
The choice indeed was made in favor of keeping the 7.5t thrust with better reliabiliy/lower costs, instead of going to the 9t thrust version (which BTW also brings the need to redesign the intakes), deemed unnecessary.

As for possible engines, the F404/414 from GE, the Eurojet200 and M88 are all basically direct competitors thrust, size and weight-wise, the first Rafale ,the A, had F404 engines, same as the predecessor of the current Eurofighter.
Yes, but the Rafale A (demonstrator) was substancially bigger than the production aircrafts... Hence I fear we can't draw any conclusion, here

Last edited by AlphaZuluRomeo; 27th Jan 2013 at 20:16.