PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA PPL based on a foreign licence, can I or can't I fly night visual?
Old 27th Jan 2013, 20:03
mm_flynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mATT84DC,
  1. Does your licence say DAY ONLY or NOT VALID AT NIGHT on it?
  2. Does the law in your country allow you to fly at night with your current set of licences and ratings?
  3. Does the licensing law in your country (with your lapsed SEP IR) prevent you flying a SEP aircraft VFR at night (this is not a question about the availability of night VFR in your country's airspace, but do they prevent you from flying a SEP at night VFR in States that do allow it)?
If question 1 is NO, then the technical writing of the FAA rules says you can fly VFR at night
If question 1 is No and question 2 is Yes, then both from a technical perspective and from the principle the FAA is trying achieve, you don't have a night restriction.

If Q1 is NO and Q2 is YES and Q3 is YES, the FAA and a US insurers will never understand this (you can fly a SEP and a MEP, the MEP at night in VFR, but the SEP is day only) and I think the question then is are your insurers for US flight likely to understand and apply this set of law).