PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus aircraft sidestick target on PFD
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2013, 17:02
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sidestick position cross

quote:
The Maltese cross is only for the PM to monitor what the PF is doing on the ground

unquote.

Not really!!!

U is right on, obviously flying 330.

The sidestick cross indicates the position of the sidestick.
Is used by the Pilot Flying during takeoff.
For example: Half scale Deflection downwards, until 100kts during the takeoff roll when it is placed on the horizon line on the PFD.
Then aids stick position indication when rotating to the appropriate angle at VR.
As mentioned, during crosswind takeoffs the sidestick is deflected to half a cross deflection (into wind) until, as described above, the aircraft rotates and weathercocks into wind, as in a conventional x-wind takeoff. . .
after which the cross disappears.
Some, operators prescribe full cross down in a crosswind takeoff with the into wind input, I don`t like this method, but is the way to do it whether I like it or not.

:added later . . .My point, though perhaps poorly laid out, is, that, the white cross is an indicator of sidestick position as opposed to anythingelse, like, flying controls.

And, the original question is/was: "How do the pilots use the target cross on the PFD ?" And, the answer is what I have written above.

ton pi

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 1st Feb 2013 at 17:22. Reason: Got me crosses and scales wrong See bold print