PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Central London
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2013, 14:50
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NC

Thanks. That's all I and a some others (ShyTorque et al) have been trying to achieve. ShyT is a very experienced professional who uses the helicopter routes regularly so his opinions/contributions are worth far more than mine.

I accept, of course, what you encountered. Although much of the area was prone to widespread low cloud and poor visibility at the relevant time, conditions appear to have been worse to the east of London than elsewhere. eg At 0751 hrs, Thames Radar broadcast LCY ATIS which reported visibility 700 m, RVR 900 m, freezing fog and broken cloud with a base of 100 ft above the airport.

BTW, I'm please you pointed out in your previous post that it was beautiful blue sky above about 1200 ft because some contributors appear to believe that the pilot was in cloud throughout. It's clear from the AAIB SB that he wasn't.
At 0747 hrs he was VFR on top at 1500 feet.
At 0757 hrs, after asking Thames Radar if he could head to Battersea Heliport, he told the controller "I can actually see Vauxhall." At that time he was abeam the London Eye at 1500 ft.

I agree with you about the main reason, under current legislation, for lighting these tall structures. We can agree to differ re whether the lighting legislation should be changed.
I don't suggest that any other significant changes are necessary.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 27th Jan 2013 at 15:42.