PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter - v - crane LONDON
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2013, 09:13
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
readgeoff
Sir Niall makes a very good point. There are many things we say in jest that we would never actually do in reality. This could well be one of them.
Maybe so, but it could be said that although he may well have said it in jest at the time, maybe to lighten the atmosphere and to assure the client, the fact that he said "I’m coming anyway will land in a field if I have to" appears to me that he realised that landing in a field was very much a possibility as a last resort to make the pick up.

The reason we say things but don't carry our words out, is because circumstances turn out where we don't have to do what we earlier said.

Are you saying that if he got over Elstree (as he did), binned it due to the cloud cover (as he did), but when turning back southbound saw a field through a gap in the cloud, he wouldn't have considered going for a field close to Elstree to pick up the client? I would suggest that the field option was always in his head

I'm just thinking that from being VMC on top and enquiring if Battersea was open, it's very interesting that the very next call after being told it was open was “I can actually see Vauxhall, If I could maybe head down to H3... H4 sorry”

Given where he was when this call took place, are you really telling us that the 'landing in a field' in a rural area scenario, was never an option that morning?

Going back to ST's earlier post of;
"Distraction? I doubt it. The frequency change at that point, i.e. just before entering the EGLW ATZ, is a totally routine and mandatory requirement."
Wouldn't knowing which route you are on also be a routine and mandatory requirement?