PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The greatest feat of flying in the history of military aviation
Old 27th Jan 2013, 08:45
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
A Special Forces Camp named Kham Duc was over run by NVA forces and resulted in the evacuation of the Camp by Air Force, Army, and Marine Aviation units.

My Chinook Unit was involved (prior to my arrival in country) and later I spent many enjoyable days Scuba Diving with the last man out of the Camp....one of the Air Force Combat Controllers that were recovered by the last aircraft to land and make it out of the camp. The C-123 Pilot received the Medal of Honor for that bit of flying.

During the fighting a Huey was shot down and left idling, rotors turning, and the crew rescued by another helicopter. Later, a Chinook pilot....himself having been shot down...seeing the idling Huey....used the Huey to fly himself and his Chinook crew out of the place.

It was a disastrous day for the US Military.....and as usual in those kinds of events....some very ordinary Men did some very extraordinary flying.

Battle of Kham Duc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rescue at Kham Duc

Learn and talk about Battle of Kham Duc, 1968 in Vietnam, Battles and operations of the Vietnam War, Battles involving Vietnam, Battles involving the United States

Last edited by SASless; 27th Jan 2013 at 08:56.