PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone flown the Wessex?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2003, 00:55
[email protected]

Received 631 Likes on 273 Posts
Once or twice I have strapped myself into a Wessex - 2 years in Northern Ireland (72 Sqn), 3 years in Cyprus (84 Sqn), a year instructing at Sartu with a visit to 28 Sqn in Hong Kong, and another year instructing at Shawbury on it. Operationally you were almost always short of power and, when in hot and high conditions, ran out of tail rotor authority but the old girl always recovered and could be made to do some wacky things. Even if it did all go Pete Tong, that fabulous undercarriage would save you - even if you hit hard enough to trigger the 4G crash switches that shut the HP cocks!!!
There are so many apochryphal stories of Walter Wessex that the server would overload and I am sure that many PPruners have learned their trade in it.
It was a good SH heli and a brilliant winching platform for SAR, with a bit more power and top end it would have been excellent instead of just blo*dy good. It is the only helicopter built by Wastelands that hasn't been a crock of sh*t (even the Merlin is cracking already).
The Lynx Mk7 was the skidded GTI version as far as pilots helicopters go but the good old Wessex was truly Queen of the Skies>