PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ch 10 chopper crash, Perth
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2013, 04:57
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...whatever the reason (LTE or mechanical), the fact remains that the aircraft was being flown low and slow with a door open and in that environment even with 8/8 of flat level ground all around, the prospect of pulling off a forced landing without damaging the aircraft is very remote. The fact that the crew pulled it off without damaging themselves, despite writing off the aircraft, is testament to either luck, exceptional skill, or more likely a combination of both.

But I do ask myself, is it worth the risk exposing yourself to that hazardous environment where the reward is just a 5 second grab on the nightly news? I think not. Much better to give yourself some height, give yourself some airspeed, and remotely point a gyro-stabilized gimbal mounted camera at whatever it is you need a 5 second video grab of. A news cameraman hanging out the door of a single engine helicopter at low level is so 1970's...there is a better and safer way of getting the job done, and that requires some investment in the proper hardware.