PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus aircraft sidestick target on PFD
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2013, 00:31
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello chaps/chapesses,

In case it's of interest, and at risk of irritating those who have seen it before, I wrote this as part of a post in 1988. It came out of a general discussion on A320 crosswind handling, and was much assisted, IIRC, by Confiture and Lemurian (interesting combination!). Unofficial,of course, and no FCOM or FCTM references, I'm sorry to say:

"CROSSWIND TAKE-OFF
A small amount of into-wind aileron can be selected before starting the T/O run, avoiding "cracking" the spoilers.* During rotation, the upwind wing tends to rise in the conventional manner, and can be countered by retaining into-wind aileron. As the main L/G lifts off, any downwind rudder will be eased off, yawing the aeroplane into wind. This will temporarily assist the aileron. Half a second after lift-off, however, Normal Law in roll is introduced (AND the white cross on the PFDs has disappeared). At that point, any remaining roll input needs to be released.
"5 seconds after main L/G lift-off, Normal Law also becomes fully effective in pitch. Stick-to-elevator control is now removed, and pitch-attitude can be refined by small nudges of sidestick.

" * Roll-spoiler deployment can be avoided by placing the PFD white-cross so that its inner edge is not noticeably to the side of the centre spot."

Now, 5 years later, I realise that I neglected to mention the need for some forward stick on all take-offs, particularly I suppose on a wet crosswind one. This makes it a bit more difficult to judge how much roll (aileron) command you are selecting, and to avoid "cracking" the spoilers. If in doubt, however, you will notice that the F/CTL page appears briefly when you first displace the stick, and enables you (if you are ready for it) to confirm that the spoilers are still stowed. If you miss it, briefly select the page manually.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited by Chris Scott; 27th Jan 2013 at 00:57. Reason: Last paragraph added.