PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel type on modern jet..........
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2013, 21:06
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Ag. Bis. I think you're verywrong on this.
And as diesel, kerosene and jet Ai are all but identical and pretty much interchangeable the differences between them are miniscule for most practical purposes.
long time since I was duly licenced for the storage and sale of Petroleum Spirit....
As with any distillation process, I am led to believe that there is a fair bit of "bleed" between the various fractions.....hence 35 sec Derv/gasoil
has a fair "oily " content....this is why a mechanical diesel injector pump can do millions of cycles with no other lubricant than the fuel itself.

Some years ago, a local garage was forcibly closed when HMRC, acting on complaints, found his "Diesel" wasover 75% Kero.(28sec)

Kero is a "dirty" paraffin, a first distillation which has a fair trace of derv and oils in it . Fine for closed, flued combustion but NOT for room-heaters
(Paraffin stoves) whilst being a smelly and sooty burner in these appliances, it contains insufficient of the heavier fractions to effectively lube injection-systems...that's how the hooky garage got caught.
ruined BMW and Merc injections, among others.

Premium Paraffin is Kero that's been re-refined....just like producing Whiskey or vodka...the lighter fractions boil off and leave the majority of the heavy stuff behind. IIRC it was about 10% dearer than ordinary 28sec. and supplies were erratic in the mid 80's asdemand had dropped with the mass adoption of Central Heating.(used to only buy 200 gallons at a time)
Alladin Pink...Regent Green and ,of course, "the Esso blee dooler"

Anyone remember the 2-bob a gallon Alladin pink dispensers?....place can under spout, florin in the slot and wait till it stopped dripping before refitting the cap and lugging it home!
These were all the same product, the refineries just bunged in a different dye for the various brands.

Where Thielert, etc. are concerned, I'd suggest the materials for the pumps/injectors are chosen specifically to work with the very low lubricity of Kero.