PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will a Viscount ever fly again?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2013, 20:57
norwich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rob, To answer a part of your question above try a google search on the registration N836D, this should give you a good view on the years of restoration work that went on to get a DC-7B flying in the US, you may already know about this project ?
My point here is that although this project achieved its 'climax' and the aircraft did fly and people were allowed to 'join the club' and have a flight aboard whist it was at many US airshows.
I was lucky enough to be one of 50 passengers aboard its first, and only, overseas flight, a tour of the Carribean in May 2011, whilst on this epic trip talking with the operators they could not understand the lack of interest from the US enthusiasts, the majority of the 50 passengers were from Europe !, so a lack of local interest must be a factor built into any future projects of this type ?
The last I heard of N836D it was stuck at Charlotte N.Carolina with a major engine problem that will need a $100.000 replacement and a severe lack of interest from the locals ??
I stand to be corrected on these points ! But how many of us would be prepared to transfer a lot of money from our bank accounts to have a flight in a Viscount ?? .... But I would if the chance were there ?????
Keith