PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shuttle Columbia breaks up during re-enry
Old 5th Feb 2003, 21:28
kinsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I have listened to and read some comments in the media that suggest that manned space flight should end as a result of this tragic event. Manned space flight is the last great adventure for mankind in my opinion. As with all great adventures there is great risk and people will die. One only needs to look at the history of aviation to see the truth of this.

If mankind wants life without risk then we have no future as a species. For me and I suspect many who have posted on this forum these seven individuals died in pursuit of all our dreams to explore and push the boundaries of knowledge, there is no question the manned space program must go on. The best tribute that can be paid to these seven explorers is to increase the funding to NASA and European Space Agency. An unmanned space program whilst interesting will never inspire our children or fire their imaginations in the same way.

I am sure there will be some in NASA who will be feeling great pain at this time wondering if there is something more they could have done to prevent this tragedy. The most remarkable thing about the space program is how few accidents there have been when you consider the risks involved. From what I have seen this has been due to the dedication, enthusiasm and professionalism of all those who work for NASA.

My heart felt condolences to the astronaut’s families and all those in the NASA family.