PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - new CAS
Thread: new CAS
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2013, 09:32
Biggus

Received 72 Likes on 33 Posts
CiC,

Fine, I'll bow to your more in depth knowledge. I know a bit more than the average politician, and a lot more than the man on the street, about RAF SH assets, but I'm a long way short of being an expert (although before we get the "retired duffers shouldn't comment on things they know nothing about" statement, I should say that I'm still in the mob, albeit not for much longer).

As I see it we currently have 7 RAF SH squadrons, 3 Chinook, 2 Merlin, 2 Puma. Hence my comment. While I knew the Merlins were going to the RN, I didn't know exactly when. So yes, it will very soon reduce to 5(?).

I'll admit that getting things wrong doesn't add strength to my argument. However, in terms of MACA requirement, 3 Chinook and 2(?) Puma squadrons permanently based in the UK, without even mentioning how many of the Junglies are likely to be available in the UK (and not floating on a gin palace somewhere!) is far more than could ever be needed/justified.

Trying to justify SH numbers using MACA as part of your argument is, in my opinion, as pointless as trying to justify MPA on the basis of its SAR role.

Still, feel free to disagree, that's the beauty of such a site. I tend to find that people either disagree/correct my comments, or totally ignore them - I think I actually prefer the former to the latter!

Last edited by Biggus; 26th Jan 2013 at 09:34.