PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB report just published on A320 throttle asymmetry incident
Old 26th Jan 2013, 04:41
d_concord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Scrubba,

The thrust TLA can be just a millimetre out of the detent to give this indication on the FMA. It will give this whether one thrust lever is forward of the detent or behind as well. The Levers are just a slide switch so position is everything.

What happened here is not unusual. I have seen other do it and have done it myself. And as you say, in all the cases I have seen or done myself you just put the lever instantly back into to the detent and presto now you have the power you programmed. I have never heard of anyone to just sit there with the problem until now.

This is from the Airbus QRH for the PNF

BELOW 80 kt:
N1 (EPR)CHECK
THRUST SET ANNOUNCE
PFD/ENG PARAMETERS SCAN

You will note it says below 80Kts not a specific speed.

This all takes place almost instantly after the levers have been put into the correct position and the FMA will indicate what has been commanded. This is followed by the PNF confirming that the thrust is set from the engine parameters. This will all happen well before 80 Kts. That is what is unusual here. The reality is the thrust set call normally takes place well before 80 kts. The airbus call is "thrust set" not "80kts Thrust set" or "80 kts thrust not set"

The PNF called "80 Kts. Thrust Not Set" (maybe another issue is why wait till then!)

Its very clear that this was now a non normal take off .

A slow speed RTO is a non event in this case. (That's not the case with a slow speed RTO with an engine out but that is another issue )

To be honest, I just don't think the PF understands the FBW characteristics of the aircraft. If he did he would have instantly known the cause and the remedy.

It is interesting that the findings did not see the need to look at or make any comment on any deficiency in understanding or the need to improve the initial conversion training onto the aircraft. Seems as though they did not even look at the ground course or training syllabus of the organisation that did the training. Given the PF had only 120 hours on type this incident started there.

As Rudder indicated you really have to wonder about the ATSB and the level of experience, skill and analysis.

Last edited by d_concord; 26th Jan 2013 at 04:43.