PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB report just published on A320 throttle asymmetry incident
Old 26th Jan 2013, 02:07
scrubba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RTO for thrust mismatch

Thanks d_concord,

I thought the TLA mismatch was surprisingly small to cause this problem and even more surprised that the ATSB made no comment about the apparent sensitivity. For the non-Airbus people, I was also disappointed that there was no discussion of what the available solutions were - I'm guessing that repositioning the TLs is not an option, but I'm also surprised that it is not an option up to a certain point in the TO sequence.

I'm unclear why you seem to think it warranted an RTO. Presumably there is some cross-check of engine parameters to confirm that at least flex thrust is being generated - so if it is available, why not continue? Can normal autothrust be reinstated airborne at a safe altitude? Is manual thrust setting difficult or are automatic features disabled with the A/T?

FWIW, I am particularly glad that it was reported, investigated and published. I thought that a lot more could have been drawn from the event and the lead up to it, as well as the company SOPs, preparation of training captains, etc and what reviews took place post-event.

For those who have never suffered a loss of SA by a distraction at a critical time while under the duress of training, don't be so quick to judge - I've seen some very good pilots do some very unexpected things in similar circumstances and everybody was much better for understanding the experience.