PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Crash in Moscow
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2013, 01:26
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CONF iture
120kt with no more rwy to spare ahead is already a sure disaster in the making, unless it is all flat and obstacle free.
Yes, agreed, no options for stopping. The certainty of 190k does place an inevitability about it.

In considering a go-around in such rare circumstances I would think that everything one has ever learned from training would resist the thought and the temptation to takeoff after reverse had been deployed.

There is also the inevitability of not knowing the position of the reversers and not having time to check the lights and decide one's fate; - one doesn't know whether they'd deploy in the air. It's only slightly less a certainty, and a terrible choice no matter what.

What is disconcerting about this now that we know a bit more is the absence of a fix since it was a known issue with serious flight safety implications.

Because I'd experienced it in winter on an A320 once, I do recall the issue where if one's landing was too smooth and on a wet or contaminated runway, one couldn't get reverse or braking until either WoW or wheel-spin was sensed and the spoilers deployed. IIRC correctly, (more in doubt as I get further in time from the cockpit!), Airbus addressed the Warsaw issue by designing a two-stage oleo to get the WoW signal more reliably and permitted either main gear wheel-spin signals to satisfy the "okay to deploy spoilers" condition. This last occurs when reverse is selected on at least one engine and only one of the main gear wheel spin signals is received the spoilers will deploy to 10deg to reduce lift and get the second main gear compressed for full spoiler extension.

The reports will be very interesting as will the fix to the reverser issue.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 26th Jan 2013 at 13:53.