PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wireless network snags
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2013, 16:15
Mike-Bracknell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OFSO
Here's an odd one. My Android tablet frequently says that my home wifi "is known to Android but signal is too weak/too far away to connect" even when it's a few feet from the router.

At the same time the tablet happily locks onto wifi from the local town 3 miles and 600 feet lower.

The cure for the tablet is turning wifi off and on again when my home wifi pops up nice and strong on the screen. Needless to say no problems connecting to free wifi everywhere else. And my HTC phone has no problems conecting to my home wifi: it's just the tablet.

Any clues ?
Could be the wifi channel on the router. Wifi isn't exactly the same all the way around the globe - we have channels 1-13 available whereas the Yanks have 1-11 generally available due to the US Military claiming the bandwidth. (it's slightly more complicated than that but you get the gist), hence a perennial problem is American-made wifi systems generally barf when faced with a UK wifi on channel's 12 and 13 (and sometimes 11 as well).

Try changing (or mandating if it's set to "Auto") the channel and see what happens.