PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Airlines B777 Divert to Ascension
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2013, 15:37
Uncle Fred

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts
A couple of points from the article. Did not Delta have to contract out to Atlas to carry in the new engine? A Delta 747 was mentioned but they need a freighter for an engine carry. I know this is a small point and I certainly do not mean to sound pedantic, rather I just like to know how the various carriers put together their recovery plans.

The second talked about a clipping of the wing tips. On which Delta aircraft? The one that had diverted in or the one that came in to pick up the passengers? It would seem to be the former according to the time-stamp given.

Either way, one can readily see the orchestration involved in one of these diverts. To say that there is a lot involved is a definite understatement.

Now picture one of these diverts into one of the really cold fields that are used for Polar and Northern Pacific flying. Ascension has good weather, good communications, and the passengers are in safe conditions. Drop a distressed/ single engine aircraft into a place like Svalbard, Thule, or Barrow in the middle of winter and the complexity is astounding. Challenging to say the least as the cold alone is nothing short of dangerous.

Last edited by Uncle Fred; 25th Jan 2013 at 19:15.