PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Army Aviation Corps
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2013, 09:04
herkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When one looks at the lack or understanding and or the lack of interest by some, in the well being of their members. One can only presume that a lack of basic understanding still exists in the armed forces.

When the Air Force introduced the C130 into service in 1958, it reinstated the old WW2 aircrew position of Flight engineer. It also introduced a new position of Loadmaster. It was a paperwork action, designed to allow the aircraft to be safely flown. At least three of the engineers were from WW2 and so still had an entitlement to wear the engineers brevet. However the remaining fellows were not awarded any brevet for some time, and the poor old loadmaster and his engineer mate had to wait until 1964 before correct brevet became available.

The pay scale was only marginally better than what they got before they came on the job. Annual assessments were also unfair as at unit level one was judged by the units but final assessment was done by ones basic mustering and they had little or no interest with what was going on. Because the higher ups lack of support and action and because the base mausterings had lost interest in us, no sustantive promotions were forthcoming and the situation was partly solved in the mid seventies because political interest was starting to appear. In spite of that it took till 1983 for the matter to be resolved.

I see where some of you are puzzled that the pay and conditions are so poor but it took 25 years for the airman aircrew issue to be fixed when it could with good intent be fixed almost overnight.

There still appears today for people to leave in droves and yet the people who should have an interest sweep it under the carpet.

I am sure the army is the same, but I find it a crying shame that so many good people decide to leave leaving most of the dead heads behind.

It is not the facts that it is an old fart moaning, my goodness the same mistakes are being made from 30 years ago.

I wish you all the very best and the sooner our powers to be understand how change is needed the better for you and our country

Regards

Col

l