PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine offs to the ground
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2003, 17:25
nonradio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyclic Flare: I expect you are not the only one who is at a heightened state of readiness on EOLs! Which in the case of the R22, is no bad thing; your 15kt wind min is not a bad idea either, though a student ought to be shown and practice in all conditions. In any event as it's a legal req. in the UK I'm sure noone is only doing power recoveries and passing a skill test.
In practice only a very brave soul would flutter down in a 22 arms folded in training or on test and in truth the odd tweak here or there to save that long walk back is almost de rigeur, especially as the throttle on Robbies is held in the detente. With respect to B206 or B47 then arms folded EOLs are possible and with a bit of wind ditto R44...although throwing £250k+ worth of machinery at the ground concentrates the mind, too
From my own experience the throttle can be popped in the detent at a fairly early stage in the descent -say 3-500'- so long as airspeed and RRPM are as desired and it's quite clear you'll land close to the intended touch down point (sometimes called a "gate"). That allows a bit more time to settle into the EOL without being too hurried at the bottom. As for R22 engine offs in the hover, well - yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chances...
I'm not helping am I?