PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2013, 22:52
airmail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again,

Firstly, many thanks to the warm welcome by all and also to everyone replying to my post. I also must apologise in that I was so caught up in reading this entire thread that looking at G-INFO for the answers didn't even cross my mind! Having said that, I am glad that I posted as there seems to be a couple of follow ups as a result.

With regards to a (I use 'a' advisedly based on previous posts from better informed people than myself) Long Ranger with the registration G-LONG, I can guarantee that Cabair operated a Long Ranger during during the 90's with this registration! I became part of an ill fated venture to manage their pleasure flying activities in 1997 and G-LONG was part of the business plan, unfortunately because of the engine failure and subsequent heavy landing those plans went south. I can however recall many pleasure flying events before 97 where LONG was utilised.

In terms of ownership of the helicopters (and a lot of the fixed wind aircraft as well), Walsh aviation was a name that cropped up time and time again - and featured on the registration plates inside the aircraft. I have no idea whether this was because it they were owned for tax reasons or there was an individual/company that made a living by leasing these aircraft.

Savoia - I will hunt around for some photos, I know I have/had some somewhere but a few house moves may have had an impact. I do recall having a photo of G-OBIG soon after it was repainted for the Big Brother work so I believe that deserves a showing!!

Regards to all