PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreaming of flying a jet (specially to you older guys!)
Old 24th Jan 2013, 21:57
Stuck_in_an_ATR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I generally disagree with the OP's views, I have some sympathy for him.

I have been in the business for 12 years now. More or less 1 year into my airline flying career I had my moment of doubt- I felt weary, unhappy and not enjoying flying anymore. I gave up leisure flying and I felt like I was in "only for the money"

Fortunately, it was temporary and I got better in few months. I got more proficient in my flying and started enjoying it again. Not much later I got my first command on a TP (which, initially, I didn't even really want) and had a blast since then Now I absolutely love the job and wouldn't trade it for anything else. I came back to leisure flying too - aerobatics, helicopters, gliders, whatever I can get my sweaty palms on

The other moment of doubt was on a foreign contract, far away from home. After few months or so, I got extremely homesick and depressed. I hated staying in hotels, I hated going to work, I hated the ever-present loneliness, yet couldn't make friends with the locals. Even though I was making a lot of money, I just couldn't stand it! Again, finding a job closer to home cured it.

I think the OP may be suffering from a mix of the above. I hope he gets over it and finds joy in his new career...

Last edited by Stuck_in_an_ATR; 24th Jan 2013 at 21:59.