PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defensive tactics
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2013, 21:34
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Runon,
Iran/Iraq is a much overlooked campaign; you're right about Helo v FJ and helo v helo engagements. The full gamut of AA wpns were used. my personal 'favourites' are shooting a Maverick at a Super Frelon, a AIM-54 getting a multiple kill on a formation of Floggers, a Hind claiming an F4 with a sagger (!!) and Sea Cobras sneaking up on a Hind formation and hitting them with TOWs.

The Germans in WW2 were the first to try helo v fighter; much of what they discovered holds true today - in summary; a well flown helicopter at low level is a difficult target to visually acquire, track and successfully engage from a fixed wing platform. Yes, radar can make the job easier, likewise IR AAMs, but you can deploy tactics against both. As with all air combat the starting position, lookout (or lack of) luck and pilot ability all play a large part. I've had days where I couldn't get away with much (even against F3s....), and others when a pair of Typhoons have been simple to avoid. There are a whole lot of variables.

Flying really low is great fun, but not always tactically sound. You may prejudice some aspects of your countermeasures, consume too much fuel manoeuvring (and cause a higher noise signature and more glint), you might fly into an obstruction or kick up a dust trail.

Every theatre is different and the threat will dictate the tactic. Sometimes the weather or ac perf issues are the highest threat, sometimes it is the enemy. If you're military, you'll have Sqn guys who can fill in the blanks.