PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why no regular use of CO detectors in light aircraft?
Old 24th Jan 2013, 20:18
Odai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kevkdg, your link is broken.

We had a brief (~10-15 min?) indication of CO on my skills test flight (I had taken one of the small chemical type detectors I had purchased). The spot turned dark, and then back to normal after fresh air vents were opened. It was suspected that it could be due to the airplane having been refueled, does anyone know if these things are sensitive to avgas fumes?

There is a warning on the back of the product saying it should not be exposed to halogens, ammoniac or nitrous gases. Any ideas if any of these are present in avgas?

If these detectors are susceptible to being set off by avgas, I think it would be worthwhile to invest in a powered detector instead, as they tend to be less reliant on chemical reactions to pick up on CO.

I've considered this one, linked earlier by cct:

Amazon Amazon

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the distraction that the alarm could cause if it were to go off. I use a similar one in my home, and the alarm is extremely loud - I certainly wouldn't appreciate it going off right next to me in a cockpit, as it could cause a dangerous distraction. There is also the issue of mounting. I'd be happy just to stick some velcro on there and have it stuck to the panel or something - however all my flying will be in rented airplanes and I doubt the owners would appreciate sticky residue (from the velcro) all over the panel.

Is there anything designed specifically for use in GA, other than the Aeromedix one (which is way out of my budget)?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Odai.