PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2003, 14:52
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMMmmmiles more to go

Low n Slow - The Maggie 'Verygunner' story is great - see if you can get it verified.

Low n SLow/ Barry Clay - The Messenger was designed as a result of a direct approach by a group of frustrated Army Officers 'in the field' who wanted an aircraft hat wasn't 'designed by committee.'

Miles, in his inimitable style, got hold of a M28 Mercury and designed a longer, thicker STOL wing. huge flaps and strong, long-stroke UC. Voila!

Unfortunately, despite being wowed by this machine - that could lift 4 fully equipped troops plus a big radio out of impossibly small fields - the beaurocrats had a sense of humour failure at this flippant approach and - I believe - ensured that the ringleader was posted overseas. He went on to distinguish himself apparently but thats another story.

THe Messenger was produced but in the Military, it was used exclusively for VIP flights and Comms.

It was eminently suited for AOP work - the low wing is no disadvantage. Indeed, its very slow/ long loiter performance, huge opening windows and the large bubble screen that extended beyong the fuselage sides was a quantum leap forward. However, I agree that it would have represented a break with tradition.

The story of the fate of the military Messengers is a complex one but will all be covered in the forthcoming book 'The Miles Aircraft Story 1927-1978.'

THis tome, representing 50+ years of work by Peter Amos - 'The Oracle' will answer all Miles-related questions.

It will be out in the Spring.

We are going up a gear on this thread with wonderful contributions. I am getting more confident of 200+ posts and still more to go. This thread will run and run!

If you are just browsing but have a story to tell - fire it off to me by EMail - just like Barry Clay is doing - and I will post it for you.

Please share your stories with us MMMmmmiles nutters!.

Thank you all!

HP