PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2013, 09:43
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airmail: A warm welcome aboard. I also enjoy browsing the thread .. especailly reading those posts which are not posted by 'Savoia' lol!

As Geoffers mentioned, in the UK there is only one airframe allocated per registration (to the best of my knowledge) but, this is not so in all countries, Australia is an exception for example and there are doubtless others.

Some of the craft you have mentioned were registered to Cabair while others were not. One thing all the aircraft you have mentioned have in common (including G-LONG) is that they were all at some point owned by a Jeremy Walsh of Walsh Aviation (as Wiggy has pointed out) and I rather suspect therefore that Walsh was somehow connected to Cabair. If this was so then there is every reason to believe that G-LONG was in fact the craft you recall. She was under Walsh's patronage from 1991-97.

Please try and dig-up some photos from your time with Cabair!

AS355F1 Ecureuil II G-BTIS (formerly G-TALI) date and location unknown but probably Ascot and probably early 00's (Photo: Michael Rice)

I actually flew in BTIS in a charter from Elstree in 2004.

Moneymatters: Bean counters are equally welcome!

My godfather left John Broome's employ in 1982 and the events you refer to would have happened some years later. The helicopter you mention was in all liklihood G-JLBZ, the Bell 222 which replaced the LongRanger my godfather flew.

Bell 206L1-LongRanger II G-JLBI at Alton Towers amusement park c. early 1982

This photo was taken after having arrived from the JCB factory in nearby Uttoxeter where my godfather had gone to see Chalky White about collaborating on a sortie to Heathrow to collect a delegration from Disney World who were visiting the Towers.

G-JLBI had so much 'gear' fitted to her (Decca DANAC moving map navigator, autopilot, VOR, ADF, DME, Force Trim actuators, dual AI, dual DG, (dual controls for that matter), rotor brake and Schermuly flares) that with 70% fuel she was good for about 3 pax, lol!

While visiting Chalky over tea he offered my godfather a chocolate McVities digestive which my godfather gratefully accepted. He then went into one of his drawers and brought out a box of chocolate covered marshmallows with jam filling and offered me one .. I was equally appreciative .. whereupon my godfather launced into a tirade of abuse towads Capt. White accusing him of all kinds of prejudices .. but mostly those against Army aviators! Chalky reluctantly offered the Colonel the same treat and about a week later we flew down in company with G-OJCB (JCB's Ferranti-equipped JetRanger) to collect John's guests.

Memorable days.