PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dumb arses and guns...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 22:13
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what a bunch of goofs!

I'm glad you can all say what you like. In the USA, we have the right to freedom of speech. Sure, there are reasonable limits like not shouting: fire in a crowded theatre (though it worked well in the film, "Iron Curtin"with Paul Newman and Julie Andrews).

But we also have the right to bear arms. Yes, some terrible people have stolen weapons and used them to kill innocents. Someone grabbed the controls of an airliner and killed thousands.

We have about 300 million ''guns'' in civilian hands in our nation of some 330 million people. If they were all nutcases we would all be dead now and the race would be on to recolonize the USA.

But we are not all dead.

Shortly after the Sandy Hook school shooting, I watched as 30 school children stood outside of a department store on the sidewalk. I was driving my car and could easily have killed them all by turning my wheel two inches to the right. But I didn't. And the other cars on the same path and I did the same thing...we turned our wheel to the left slightly and even though they were on the sidewalk, we gave them even more room. That day there were no nut cases driving cars near those students.

I don't own a gun. While in the US Army I qualified Expert and won a three day pass for my excellent shooting. I haven't fired a gun since then over 30 years ago.

But I sure want that right. We have a constitution that is wonderful and the father of the constitution said why that right is so important (see Federalist Paper 46). And I agree with it fully.

All the little comments about not being able to buy hand grenades or howitzers are cute. Reasonable firearms in general or standard use are the rule. Not laser guns, or manpads. There are over 1 million AR15's in general use. As the cousin of the m16 military rifle, it is the weapon I would choose to purchase if I wanted one. (actually the Colt AR15A2 MT6700 5.56mm, and for a hand gun I would want the Colt 1911 WW1 replica).

Contrary to popular opinion, we can even buy real MACHINE GUNS...there is a huge tax and the price would make even an airline pilot think twice about paying the price. And to buy the ammunition is incredibly expensive...100 rounds and you could easily make your electrical bill payment.

To you in different countries...it is your business if you want the right to bear arms. I wonder how the people of Norway feel about guns...90 kids killed and no one could stop the nutcase killer.

To you in different countries, I am reminded of the original "The Time Machine" with Rod Taylor having to teach the Eloi to fight back.

Our country is a young one and I live in the wild west of today, but not so long ago Pony Express riders were armed with guns to protect the mail. And well before the 911 attacks airline pilots had guns to protect the mail. Yes, real airline pilots with guns 70 years ago.

We like guns and the great majority of us are responsible with guns or we would all be dead like I said.

The only reason I am even thinking of buying a gun is a restraint on my rights. Not to use, but to have...just like the right I have to say what I like.

I wonder if the Jews in Germany would have fought back better if they all had guns in the 1930's?

I wonder if Hitler would have come to power if more Germans had guns in their hands?

No, were not nuts. We just know the price of freedom.

There are two recent gun violence incidents and both of the shooters did not legally obtain the guns. One of them, in New York state, had been previously convicted of killing his grandmother with a hammer...he only got 17 years in prision and was barred from gun ownership when he got out...but he still got a gun and killed some fire fighters. He should have had a life's sentence for his first crime.

any hammer restrictions...nope.

And the nut job in sandy hook...I wonder about his family but also wonder why metal doors/ballistic glass, armor wasn't used at a school and just a couple of shots allowed entrance through a shattered glass door.