PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Descend management. Looking for advice (a320)
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 18:12
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A320 Desc

WST

Hey mate,

Having read your post - all the 3 times table tips are good and you might want to halve your groundspeed to get your possible ¬desired¬ rate of descent,
but this method is only for 3 degree descents. There are other more technical ways of calculating desired rate of descent which usually equate to . . . .half groundspeed. you can use these if you need to consider 3.5 degrees or 5 degrees etc., etc.

What I wanted to add to this knowledge-rich thread is that, as you are very likely aware, if you want to go down very fast, you will also end up going forward very fast too . . . this is not usually the case in a light aircraft like a ~Cesspit or a Cherrytree, where, you can bring your speed back to something safe and low and get a nice progressive rate of descent - prob works for other light aircraft too - subject to the aircraft type etc.

Much as I like to spread my wings and glide down from above with little forward speed and a high rate of descent, this, in an A320 and prob other med to hvy airliners, is, unfortunately, not possible, in the same way.

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 24th Jan 2013 at 16:46.