PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Central London
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 15:05
SLFandProud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace wrote,
Joe Bloggs PPL will pull back the curtains and go back to sleep!

There are those who choose too and those who have to
Hmm. Reading from the AAIB...

At 0731 hrs, having noticed how poor the weather was during his journey, the client called the pilot to suggest that he did not take off until he (the client) had reached Elstree and observed the weather. The pilot replied that he was already starting the engines. The client stated that he repeated his suggestion that the pilot should not take off.
and, damningly...
@ 0729 from Pilot to Client: I’m coming anyway will land in a field if I have to
It would seem you need to adjust your motto somewhat. "There are those who choose to, those who have to, and those who don't have to but say '**** it, I'll land in a field if necessary' and set off when others would choose not to."

It is the commercial very experienced guys who will be up in not so ideal weather.
Which is a worry. I thought there was training for commercial pilots on recognising hazardous attitudes - invulnerability, macho attitude etc. - and neutralising them. One would expect the commercial very experienced guys to have better judgement than PPL holders, not worse.

Last edited by SLFandProud; 23rd Jan 2013 at 15:06.