PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dumb arses and guns...
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 12:54
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finestkind:

Although a gun is an inanimate object it purpose is to kill, not transport, carve the meat, get drunk/high.
This argument has been so used it is threadbare yet it is utterly irrelevant. The purpose of any tool does not make it spring up and act on it's own. It takes a person to load it, make it ready, point it and pull the trigger. Without all those affirmative actions the gun is just a paperweight, another tool.

As an aside, the purpose of a bow is to kill too but no-one cares to try to ban bows... yet.

PTT:

I know you are relying heavily on that study of yours but really, upon further reflection, the study itself is statistically insignificant. It samples 388 households. In 2011 there were, (per the US Census Bureau), more than 132 million "housing units". I'm pretty sure that anyone would agree that the 388 households are highly unlikely to be an accurate reflection of the 132 million. In fact, with such a small sample, it would be very easy for someone to cherry pick certain regions during certain time periods to prove a point while appearing to be trying to make an honest attempt at fairness. So, I'm sorry, (well, I'm not really - but I'm told it's polite to say it ), but I can't accept the conclusions that your study makes.

To everyone:

I've been arguing this since Newtown and have come to the conclusion that unless you live in the USA and are subject to it's laws your opinions are just that, opinions, and they have no bearing on how America will deal with it's issues. If you are subject to US law and don't like the 2nd Amendment then again that is an opinion you are entitled to. The facts are though that Harry Reid is highly unlikely to bring a vote to the floor of Barry's proposed bans/controls because he knows that in 2014 he has already vulnerable Democrat Senators up for election. Enough of them to risk control of the Senate. While you might think that is purely political it is, but it is also a realization of the fact that those Democrats would be voted out by people that don't agree with bans/controls. Furthermore, the House is highly unlikely to vote for said bans/controls. If your reaction to that is that it is those nasty Republicans vindictively blocking Barry's greatness then you need to remember that the Republicans have a majority in the house because people voted for them to be there - ie: they rejected the Democrat alternative.

This morning the predominantly Republican House of the State of Michigan is voting on two gun bills. One is to make the registration of guns in MI confidential so the silliness that occurred with newspapers publishing the names and addresses of gun owners in the aftermath of Newtown can't happen in MI. The other is a law making any gun or ammunition manufactured in MI exempt from Federal Law. Michigan is not the only state doing this. The states are doing this because the Feral Government is overstepping it's constitutional power that is, by the Constitution, retained by the States themselves or "the People".

In short, the American people know and understand the risks and responsibilities that come with the Second Amendment and they are happy to keep that freedom as is.