PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 12:12
NoVANav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R.1 vs RJ Backend

In talking with current ops folks the big difference was that the R.1 is configured more for ELINT collection and has a better analysis section. THe COMINT section is smaller.
The RJ has three ravens for ELINT, up to 15-17 COMINT collection and resporting personnel and a couple of folks for "other" tron collection.

The collection emphasis is tailored to the capabilities, but I believe both aircraft can cover the same spectrum. RJs have a better suite against the "other" targets and a more robust communication suite for getting the info off the jet.
Additionally, the RJ guys in theater always mentioned the R.1 folks and the constant PR campaign they conducted. When the RAF RJ was first announced there was a lot of whinging from the 51 Sqn types about the different equipment emphasis. I would too if I was an ELINT guy going to an aircraft that had fewer positions for my speciality.

Besides, if there is a shortfall in any capability then the next Block upgrade will be developed to address it.

Just read the Daily Mail article - too many errors to mention in this post. Let's just say it is the normal hyperbolic, inaccurate, quote-the-old-retired guy 'bravo sierra' you normally get when the press takes on a complex aviation issue.