PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter - v - crane LONDON
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 12:08
industry insider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK so we have an A109 transiting the London Control Zone probably flying at 150 knots (during transit) on a still, very cold SE England morning when the slightest stir of wind or warming by the sun can create fog or low cloud as those of us who are "experienced" know only too well.

The destination is fogged. The weather at Battersea is unknown as the pilot has not yet contacted them, even though the decision to divert there has been made. So, now, with all the attendant route, GPS and frequency changes the pilot is sending texts and talking on the phone...

Not much more to investigate really is there?

But, I would have some questions and observations:

1) Had the "experienced" pilot ever undertaken a single pilot CRM (ADM) or Decision Making Course? Did the operator require such training?

2) Texting while driving is stupid and illegal where I live. Texting while flying is worse, texting while flying single pilot is even worse still and texting while trying to arrange a diversion in the London Control Zone and flying single pilot is beyond my comprehension. Surely it should be made illegal?

3) The company I work for (which contracts millions of $ in helicopter services every year) does not allow single pilot operations at any time, in any weather or in any aircraft. Does Ken Livingstone have a point, especially in marginal weather?

4) The company I work for does not allow any freelance pilots to fly aircraft it contracts or charters at any time. Why? Because of the implied commercial pressure.

This high profile accident will be a case study in Aviation Safety for many years. The holes in this cheese are so big you could fly through them.

Last edited by industry insider; 23rd Jan 2013 at 12:10.