PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter - v - crane LONDON
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 11:38
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss Cheese
off the mark in terms of content and accuracy.
Please feel free to point out anything I said which you claim is inaccurate.

BTW, in my earlier post I missed one of your press interviews mentioned on your firm's website: "James Healy-Pratt gives interview to Radio LBC 97.3 on Vauxhall crash"
That was the Ken Livingstone & David Mellor show. You may remember proposing that twin-engine helicopters flying over London should be required to have two pilots.
You also suggested that helicopters should have black boxes but it wasn’t clear if you meant all helicopters or those flying over London.

When asked by Livingstone (who is notoriously anti helicopters) if there has been an increase in helicopter traffic over London over the last 20 years, you said “I can’t tell you exactly but my gut instinct is probably”, adding that you explained that you see helicopters flying up and down the Thames from your 11th floor office.

You can’t be expected to know all the figures for the last 20 years but I’m surprised that, as someone who describes himself as having “considerable experience as an air safety expert in the media”, you weren’t able to point out that the traffic has been decreasing since 2007 and continues to decrease.
Link to Guardian article which contains a summary of the figures and a link to the full CAA stats:
How many helicopters fly over London?