PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Central London
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 11:03
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eltonioni

I cannot agree LESS with your comments of sticking the onus on pilots to be at the right place in the right conditions.

In a perfect world, with perfect pilots, regulations drawn up in a perfect office do not always work out in the field hence why more and more technology is insisted on to protect the pilot, passengers and aircraft from mistakes.

Why do Jet owners go to vast expense fitting TAWS etc to protect pilots from mistakes they may make?

CFIT has always been a major killer and always will be hence why we turn to technology to help diminish CFIT accident stats.

I noted some of the lighting on the Crane was solar powered which in my book is insufficient for major structures so close to aircraft routes.
The authorities need to rethink lighting requirements on such structures as at present they are inadequate.

Its too easy to make the pilot a scapegoat for glaring safety holes in the present regs.
In an area which is highly built up and densely populated all the more reason to use every possibility to avoid a high loss of life from an accident such as this one!

Last edited by Pace; 23rd Jan 2013 at 11:09.