PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where is all this going?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 10:47
Fox3WheresMyBanana

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wrathmonk is right, and those of us who fit in Cat 1. Retired are probably keeping mostly quiet because we've been asked to by recent Serving posters, and we can take a hint. On this topic however, we may have something to offer.

In my case, I am both 1. Retired and 2. non-UK because I saw this coming a long time ago. If I had an answer, I'd have stayed to try and help fix it.

To comment on MM4's points; Defence has been mismanaged desperately by the politicians, who are clueless as to how to fix DES/DPA/MoD(PE) and too concerned with protecting industry. A still-Serving friend of mine reckoned we'd have to lose two wars before it changed. Sadly, the politicians are believing their own BS that we didn't lose Iraq and the 'Stan. Two more losses to come then. And now there's really no cash, so it will continue getting worse. Frankly, the Armed Forces are now so small there will be no change until the UK itself is under threat again.We have no overseas 'interests' that we can do anything about unilaterally, so the Government will wring its hands and pretend we didn't care anyway, unless they can get multinational support. Furthermore, Joe Voter clearly doesn't care whether we can contribute to another Libya-style action or not.

If it's any consolation, I spent a second career in Education, and they've f#cked that up at the Government/DfE level too.