PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career change 30+, is it different for women?
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 10:22
DoobyDoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career change 30+, is it different for women?

Hi all,

new here and questions already.

I am one of the many frustrated "never done anything about it" people who finally have the means for a modular but not really the age any longer. But donīt worry, I wonīt bother you with the 2734th thread about this. My worries are more specific.

I am female and have always wondered why I was so very alone with career change plans. (I have already changed career once.) There are plenty guys in their 30s and 40s here, investigating their options. Ok, women are generally rarer in cockpit jobs, but how come that they either go for it at young age - or not at all (commercially speaking, recreational flying is a different thing).

So apart from all the other cons that everybody else is facing as well, I am worried about not just being exotic in terms of age, but also that gender might play in on crooked sideways here. I have never felt outright discriminated against, and I definately believe that a young and able, postergirl frontline woman probably has advantages in most image-conscious corporations, rather than disadvantages for being female. However, I do have experience with "not being seen", not being recognized as potential, something that men know too, with some workplaces things just donīt click. I think it has something to do with identifying people as "one of our type", not deliberately so but still it happens. I would dare to say, in some businesses women may be "less visible" in that sense, just as men might be in others. And since there seem to be virtually no women lining up with a fresh license at late 30s/early 40s, how can I ever be "one of their type". Normally, call it bad luck and move on. But in aviation, where decent jobs are so rare, every turndown is a real problem, so it better be for the right reasons if you understand. I feel I might be disadvantaged in terms of aviation work culture (a mix of young energetic men and women, commited mature men and experienced Alpha males).

Before this gets too wound up: can anyone relate to what I am thinking here? Any experiences, thoughts and insights from career changers between 30 and 50? Male perspective is very welcome too!

For the record: geographically, my turf would be Scandinavia, UK and German speaking countries.