PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dutch TV reports on 'Ryanair pilots denominated alarm over safety'
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 10:18
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are back to the concept of perception. There are many low experienced captains in RYR who have been born & bred within that culture. I can only imagine what the command course has to say about fuel in its training. These guys have not been round the block. From asking senior F/O's, in various airlines, "what fuel we should take?" I've often received a mix of blank stares, "the captain always decides", or some finger in the wind calculation. The education was not there to make a reasoned choice, nor was it encouraged. It is easy to say "take what you want, just justify it." That is the correct culture, but you have to have the gumption, experience and courage to make those decisions. That's what you are paid for; correct decisions. Is that the case in your company? If the airlines are now going to upgrade captains with less experience than was common for an FO hiring some years ago they need a very in-depth command course with many 'what if' scenario discussions. They will not have seen too much in their 4 years. A classroom discussion is better than nothing. That is, of course, if the command course is given by one of the 'old farts' who have seen quite a lot of it. There's more to being a captain than an ace at SOP's.