PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB report just published on A320 throttle asymmetry incident
Old 23rd Jan 2013, 01:56
woodja51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel T/L issues

I guess after a minor 'lever assymetry' issue on take off ( and by the way as the detentes wear out it gets even easier to not quite have them both/ all four in the slot, thus generating the assym ecam and requiring a minor amount of fiddling on the odd occassion ). The next thing we might see in an ATSB report is the use of FLEX/MCT when a flex temp is missed out, generating the THRUST NOT SET ecam as well....ending in an RTO or similar perhaps?

Both of these very minor issues IMHO should 'not result in anything more than either pushing up the levers to TOGA ( actions for the latter ECAM actually tell you what to do) or a bit of adjustment . Bearing in mind the actual thrust set will be TLA determined ,normally checked at 80 kts ( yet with no acknowledgement of the 'THRUST SET ' PNF call by the PF - which seems strange to me , but is AB standard now.) .. Then '100 kts ' as the hi / low speed RTO divider and x check etc ( or 80 kts on a Boeing if I remember)

As far as rotating 20 kts early, yes, perhaps a pavlov dog reaction , but hopefully just an ease off of the pitch rate would have prevented any tail strike as with both engines operating the jet would pretty quickly be there anyway.

To be honest , if they did not bend the jet or generate a QAR event which they had to answer to the safety department for, it is hardly worth even being a reportable incident in my view... Simply a debrief item to learn from ...well done for the crew coming forward if they did so voluntarily as it has generated some good discussion.

But this is Australia And we do like to get wrapped around the axles for trivial issues...Go work overseas for a while and see how bad things have to get to hit the papers!!!