PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need your advice regarding volunteering
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 22:39
taxistaxing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that's what you think then that's fine, but doing the dishes at a flying club who is only half bothered about helping me learn to fly isn't going to get me far, especially as this is a hobby, not a career.
Absolutely right!

Nothing to do with arrogance or snobbery, as some of the above posts imply. In the real world people don't go to work for the fun of it. They go for the $$$! I knew that when I started my first paying part-time job aged 16 and I certainly know it now. What sort of moneygrubbing flying school takes on teenagers to do their washing up for free?! If they had any sense they'd be giving your proper experience to court your business as a prospective PPL student!

OP you're doing well. A lot of 17 year olds sit on their arses at home playing computer games. You've already achieved more than that by looking at volunteering and now making a mature assessment about whether it's worth continuing.

A paying part time job at 17 will give you self respect, a work ethic, confidence and money in your pocket. That work ethic can be your launchpad to a career, as a pilot or otherwise, a place to live and a lifestyle. Once you're set up with these things, you can think about where to go from there!

Best of luck.