PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need your advice regarding volunteering
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 22:14
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Well, as it's getting near bedtime, it's time for another story. This one is not directed at the OP, He/she has received my comments, both good and bad. This story (not mine) is directed to any other young ones reading...

The story goes that the employer of the aging gem cutter wanted the gem cutter to pass on his skills and knowledge to an apprentice before he retired. The gem cutter was not the least interested in this, he just wanted to work on his own. However, the employer insisted, and assigned the most serene young fellow they could find.

The apprentice reports for work, and the old gem cutter is less than welcoming. Knowing that he has no choice but to mentor the young fellow, he hands the apprentice an uncut gem, and directs him to sit in the corner. Predictably, the young apprentice eventually asks when he can cut a stone. "When I think you're ready" comes the reply.

This goes on for a few weeks, with the apprentice becoming increasingly frustrated with his apparent lack of advancement, and the gem cutter still telling him "When you're ready".

One day, having again been sent to the corner with the uncut stone, the apprentice returns to the gem cutter and says: "I notice that this is not the same stone that you gave me yesterday...".

"You're ready....."