PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Responding to boy racers
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2003, 08:58
chubbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Responding to boy racers

Inbound a Scottish airfield yesterday and just prior to handover to approach the airways controller gave ourselves and another aircraft speed control since he was outside of us and behind as well (300kts and 280kts respectively). Young pilot in other aircraft became pushy and was going on about how they could do 340kts blah blah. Quite rightly the airways controller gave him short shrift and we were both handed over to approach.

On handover low and behold the young pilot was at it again with his 340kts nonsense. Staggeringly the approach controller gave in to him and changed the order on approach. Despite assurances, in the end we did have a longer approach than we would originally have made and were also kept up in a layer of kak due to the other aircraft delaying our descent.

Now as far as I am concerned you guys and gals are in charge. What you say goes and I wouldn't dream of questioning a speed reduction. It doesn't bother me who goes first. What does bother me is when some pushy young oik with absolutely no understanding of the capabilities of my aircraft (and probably very little of his own) gets to call the tune. In my opinion it was all very unprofessional.