PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need your advice regarding volunteering
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 21:13
J.A.F.O.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't say if i've made the right decision yet
We can.

You see, you came here for advice from some people who'd been around a bit longer than you. I give you full credit for that, really I do. But then you ignored the advice when it didn't match up with what you wanted. That's the bit to learn from.

It may be they were seeing what you were made of, it may be they were taking the pi$$, I don't know. What I do know is that if I could talk to my seventeen year old self I would tell me to hang around the airfield in whatever way I could, fly with everybody I could, in everything I could, let the avgas, oil and dishwater sink into every neuron while I lapped up everything that was aviation, got to know people, found out about the world. If I was working in the kitchen it would be even better, I'd never go hungry.

I might not have listened but, there again, I was a bit of an ar$e who thought he knew best. Some times I still think I know best but on the occasions that I get advice and the, less frequent, times that I ask for it, I try to learn from it.

You might as well learn from the mistakes of others because you'll be either very old or very dead before you've managed to make them all yourself.